rudi gave me some BEAUTIFUL sock yarn for christmas, and i decided that i wanted to make toe-up socks so that i could use every inch of it. so far, so good! i had to cast on and knit the toe four times--the first time because i didn't do it right, the next time because i didn't do it well, the third time because i did it at midnight, the fourth time was the charm--then the foot was easy, if tedious. i DID get to use the pretty stitch markers that my friend esther made for me. (actually, i've been using them a lot, but without any reason--i just thought they were too pretty to just leave in a drawer, so periodically i'd slip one on the needles, just for fun. like needle jewelry.)
this afternoon, i successfully finished the short row heel--after unsuccessfully finishing it last night, then successfully unfinishing it this morning. when i say i "finished" it this afternoon, what i mean is i did it over and decided that, yes indeed, almost perfect IS good enough. the left side of the heel shows obvious holes, which i decided are design features, not flaws:
the other side is very un-designful:
i figure if i make an exact copy of this sock--holes and all--when i wear them they will appear to match, because the holes will be on the same side of my body no matter which foot they are on. :)
but all in all, i am very pleased with this sock--i think i understand how the holes happened, and i'll unholify the next pair.